Wednesday, January 4, 2017

2017 Texture Calendar - February

Today we're going to play with one of my favorite....hmmm - it's not really a tool but it's technically a medium either.  How about let's call it an embellishment and that would be TAPE!  I love to play with tape and I have ALL sorts - everything from regular old masking tape, painters tape, duck tape, washi tape, drywall tape, vintage mailing tape, scotch tape, gummed tape and more. I have a bit of an obsession as you can tell ;)




So today I'm going to show you two different techniques to create texture using tape.


The first technique I used plain old every day masking tape.

Tear it into bits

Pick a starting point and start covering your project.

Add layer after layer until you are satisfied with the results.


Here is what mine looked like once I finished adding the tape.
As you can see the various layers create a beautiful depth and dimension.


You could use it as is but I like to add ink to highlight all of that dimension and texture.

I am using the Delicata Quad (metallic ink).


It's got silver, gold, bronze and copper all with a bit of metallic shimmer.
I wish you could see it in person as it has an amazing look on the tape.


Again, you could use it as is but I went ahead and added a bit of stamping here and there just for the heck of it.  I'm going to save this piece for a Steampunk card that I'll finish up later on.


The next technique is also laying of tape but I used a different type of tape ~ washi tape.
I am also applying the tape in a different manor.

For this technique I am tearing the tape into 1/2" - 1" pieces which I stick down to the cardstock - not necessarily overlapping the previous piece of tape but more so covering the white cardstock.  This technique doesn't build as much touchable, dimensional texture as the previous technique created. It is more a visible faux texture and depth because most washi tapes are translucent.  


As you apply multiple pieces of tape to your project the underlying layers will still be visible to some degree.  It really is quite amazing to look at once you're finished.  It doesn't show up real great in the picture but the faux texture and dimension is there.


So, some washi tape doesn't always stay stuck down...some not at all.
To solve that problem I like to apply a layer of Creative Medium over the panel.
I just use my fingertip but you could use a brush if you so choose.


I added a few die-cuts in the same fashion.


And here is my finished calendar page for February!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Roni, fab. Going to try these techniques. Scored a stash of cheap washi so want to give that second one a go. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun page.
    Love all of the hearts.
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tutorials! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another beautiful page for your calander. Love the washi idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!